Venice Weather in Winter
- Winter averages is +5° С / humidity 75%
- highest was +16°С in 1993
- lowest was -10°С in 1968
- expected – +6°С
Winter in Venice is unpredictable: it can be relatively mild, or with heavy rainfall and icy winds. Often the sky is overcast. The time of dampness, frequent fogs and high water, named here ‘acqua alta’. The coldest month is January.
Downtime in Venice in Winter
Venice in winter is a low season and budget-friendly time to visit the City of Masks. There are fewer tourists, but only until the Venice Carnival. The city wakes up and prices soar with the event opening.
The new Giudecca Art District is opened in Venice in 2019. Location: Giudecca island in the Venetian lagoon.
Be careful and keep closer to the walls of houses in acqua alta period.
The best annual New Year's concerts are held at Teatro La Fenice, address: Campo San Fantin 1965, event dates:
- December 29, beginning at 8 pm, stalls cost € 315, a box-sit – € 80
- December 30, beginning at 5 pm, stalls cost € 345, a box-sit – € 90
- December 31, beginning at 4 pm, stalls cost € 390, a box-sit – € 100
Tourists show great interest in the Venetian cuisine workshops. Duration ~4 hours:
~ € 225 per person in a group of 2
~ € 200 per person in a group of 3
~ € 190 per person in a group of 5
Taste local wines under the supervision of a sommelier. Duration ~2 hours:
~ € 160 per person in a group of 2
~ € 120 per person in a group of 3
~ € 80 per person in a group of 6
Take part in quests. Location: Palazzo Ducale at Piazza San Marco 1. Ticket price is € 70-140 for groups of up to 15 people. Duration 1-2 hours.
The Venice Carnival is held not only in the historic center, but in other areas of the city:
- Performers and musicians entertain tourists in Mestre, Piazza Ferretto, from 5 pm. Free admission. To become a part of the entertainment show, apply online a month before the event
- Look for a live music, exhibitions and Venetian food on the territory of Arsenal. Start at 7 pm. Free admission
Travelers rent fancy dresses starting at ~€ 150 in famous atelier of the city:
- Ca' Macana Atelier by the address Cannaregio 1374/75
- Atelier Flavia by the address Corte Spechiera, 6010
- Atelier Marega by the address Calle Larga Prima, 2940/B
During the Venice Carnival are held Masked balls. Entry price ~€150-800. Locations:
- Palazzo Ca 'Vendramin Calergi by the address Cannaregio, 2040
- Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo by the address Corte Contarina, del Bovolo, 4303
- Palazzo Contarini della Porta di Ferro by the address Corte Nuova Castello, 2926
International Kid’s Carnival runs as a part of the Venice Carnival. Details: Gardens of the Biennale on Calle Giazzo, Central Pavilion, opening hours from 10 am to 6 pm. Free admission. Events:
- exhibitions of carnival masks and costumes
- interactive play zones
- dance, painting, music and theater workshops
- shows and much more
Packing List Items
In winter, to Venice, take warm clothes: a warmed waterproof jacket, jeans, a wrap scarf, a hat and gloves, rubber boots and a raincoat.
Dress code on a Masked ball can be: an evening dress/costume with a mask or a full historical costume with a mask.
If you are not afraid of unpredictable weather, want to master Venetian cuisine and masquerade balls attracts you – book tickets to Venice right now!